The final countdown to graduation can be as stressful as it is exciting!
Your next step is tantalisingly close but you have to get through final assessments, exams and other projects before receiving your certification.
After graduation you have several options available, whether you decide to return to your home country, travel elsewhere or stay in Brisbane to pursue local opportunities.
You could continue your studies here either with a high-level qualification or another field of study or, if eligible, why not think about securing post-study work in Brisbane to kick-start your career?
Further study or staying in Brisbane to work will be subject to visa requirements, so be sure to check whether you’re already covered or need to apply for a new visa. Some students will qualify for an extension of your stay of up to four years.
The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)
This visa lets you live, study and work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies, but students can only access this visa once as a primary applicant.
It has two streams:
- Graduate Work stream – for international students with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months.
- Post-Study Work stream – for international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. This stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is approved, depending on the visa applicant's qualification.
If you are applying as the main applicant, you and anybody else covered by the application must be in Australia when you apply for this visa and when your visa is decided. Find more information here.
Join an Alumni organisation
Did you know that 2.5 million international alumni of Australian institutions are making a difference around the world?
Whether you decide to stay in Brisbane or return home, it’s an excellent idea to join an alumni group from your study institution. Often these organisations have excellent benefits, can offer work and social opportunities, and even though you’ll probably have added friends on social platforms like Facebook and Instagram, an alumni group is another way to stay in touch with your classmates.
Why join an alumni group?
- Keep in contact – regular social events are a great way to stay in touch.
- Support – an alumni network is full of people who’ve been where you are and have grown from the experience personally and professionally.
- Employment and career – other alumni who work in the same field as you can be great resources when you’re starting out.
- Benefits – Some alumni groups offer discounts, meeting spaces, employment resources and other exclusive benefits.
- Give back – Why not pass on the benefit of your knowledge and experience to others coming up the ranks?
If you decide to head home, here are some ways to streamline the process:
- Think about how you’ll be shipping your goods home and whether you need to sell furniture or your vehicle before you go.
- Make sure you get your exam results, which are not part of your academic qualification, from your institution.
- You may be eligible to claim the security bond or deposit from your rental accommodation.
Stay in touch
Keep in contact with Study Brisbane after your studies and let us know what you're up to. Maintaining your relationship with Study Brisbane can open up a world of opportunity through our partnerships and networks. Ensure you're subscribed to our newsletter to keep up to date.