Brisbane startups pitch their ideas to Visiting Entrepreneur from Silicon Valley
17 May 2016
San Francisco-based entrepreneur Tristan Pollock has arrived in Brisbane to share his extensive knowledge of the startup industry and is looking for local, globally scalable business ideas to invest in.
The co-founder of successful US startups like Storefront and SocialEarth is attending a range of public and invitation only events in Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast, also meeting with representatives from local co-working spaces and local and state government.
Pollock now works with 500 Startups, which has funded more than 1500 startups in just five years and is considered one of the world's most active seed fund and startup accelerators.
He is looking to add another 500 to that number.
“My goal in this trip to Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne is to connect that line from Australia to Silicon Valley and Australasia,” Pollock said.
“To make that connection and get 500 more involved ‘down under’.
“I have been pleasantly surprised out here because there are just so many good ideas that could be (achieved), it’s just all about scale.”
Chief Digital Officer for the City of Brisbane, Cat Matson was excited to host someone of Tristan Pollock’s standing.
“Tristan Pollock is here to connect our thriving Brisbane startup community with serious global opportunity,” Ms Matson said.
“We’re really excited about Tristan’s visit as he will match up entrepreneurialism with urban innovation, which is a huge opportunity for the city.
“500 Startups is the world’s most active seed fund and startup accelerator. As Entrepreneur in Residence and Venture Partner, Tristan is going to bring so much insight and experience to the local community.
“Fostering a culture of entrepreneurship and innovation is essential to Brisbane’s future”.
The Visiting Entrepreneur Program attracts global technology entrepreneurs to address the local entrepreneurial community in a bid to encourage and foster high-growth startup success stories.
Speakers also include Australians who have successfully taken their own startup idea into global markets, sharing their learnings and expertise with the next generation of business leaders.
The Visiting Entrepreneur program is brought to you by Digital Brisbane and The Department of Science, Information Technology and Innovation.
For information about future Visiting Entrepreneur program events, head to www.digitalbrisbane.com.au/About-Us/Our-Programs
Media enquiries: Christen Hill, Brisbane Marketing
T: 3006 6286 l M: 0422 520 591 | E: [email protected]
Background: Who is Tristan Pollock?
- Tristan Pollock is an Entrepreneur in Residence and Venture Partner at 500 Startups, the world's most active seed fund and startup accelerator.
- Tristan is also empowering the most creative people in the world as co-founder of Storefront. Hailed as 'Airbnb for Retail' by The New York Times, Storefront is backed by leading Silicon Valley investors, hip-hop artist Nas, author Gary Vaynerchuk, and former Lady Gaga manager Troy Carter.
- His last company, SocialEarth, the Huffington Post for social entrepreneurship won multiple awards for impact journalism and was acquired by 3BL Media in 2012.
- Tristan also was named to the 2015 Forbes 30 Under 30 list, exhibited his street art in a TEDx talk on creative cities, cameoed in NBC Universal's Bazillion Dollar Club, and crafted the most read email of all time reaching over 23 million Best Buy customers.
- You can find him on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, view his photography and art on Instagram or Vango. You can also invest with him on AngelList.
For more information, visit: