Christmas isn’t cancelled as Acting Mayor unveils Brisbane’s festivities
A hit of holiday cheer will be the remedy to a challenging year, with Acting Mayor Krista Adams unveiling the 2020 Christmas in Brisbane program, while the Lord Mayor’s Charitable Trust sorts 3000 toys for children in need.
Cr Adams said Brisbane will be one of the few places in the world where residents can get out and experience the magic of Christmas with family and friends in a COVID-safe way.
We have delivered a reimagined Christmas program this year to lift community spirits and give our battling local businesses a boost,” Cr Adams said.
“While it may look a little bit different with COVID-safe precautions, we have a range of events and old favourites that will ensure Christmas will most definitely be in the air in our city.
“The Lord Mayor’s Lighting of the Christmas Tree will be done virtually on 1 December this year with residents able to tune in from wherever they are to see the countdown.
“Our beloved Lord Mayor’s Christmas Carols will return to Riverstage as a free-ticketed event where people can sing along to their favourite carols with some of Brisbane’s finest performers. Tickets will be available from Tuesday 24 November.
“A special new format will take the place of the Christmas Parade, with Christmas on Queen livening up the shopping strip with live pop-up performances, acrobats, choirs, and all your favourite Christmas characters.
“A crowd favourite, Gold Lotto City Hall Lights will run from 4 to 24 December and will light up City Hall every 15 minutes with an exciting light and animation Christmas tale set to capture the hearts of kids and adults alike.
“Kids can take their own socially-distanced Santa photo with Mr and Mrs Clause at South Bank Parkland’s Flowstate and Santa’s elves will be reciting their favourite Christmas tales and helping with arts and crafts.”
Cr Adams said for vulnerable and disadvantaged Brisbane residents, this Christmas would be one of the hardest they would ever have to experience.
“This year’s Lord Mayor’s Charitable Trust Christmas Grant Round, which provides Toys, food vouchers and funds for Christmas celebrations, is more important than ever because the need for support has never been greater,” she said.
“The effects of coronavirus have left our small, grassroots charities with fewer funds, sparse resources and depleted volunteers and we have seen a significant increase this year in those seeking assistance.
“To ease the burden on charities, we are sorting over 3000 toys today for 36 charities which will make their way to families and children who would otherwise go without presents under the tree this Christmas.
“These small acts of kindness go an extremely long way in giving hope and happiness to people who need it the most and I encourage people who can to dig deep and donate to the Trust’s Christmas Appeal, which will provide extra relief to Brisbane charities providing front-line services.”
CHRISTMAS IN BRISBANE 2020 PROGRAM:
- 1 Dec: We will be kicking the season off with a family favourite, The Lord Mayor’s Lighting of the Christmas Tree which will see the 22m tall tree illuminate via a special virtual cross to the countdown that families can enjoy from their home – via the Brisbane City Facebook page – we’re encouraging everyone to turn their tree on with us on 1 December and share it via #MerryBrismas.
- 4-24 Dec: The Gold Lotto City Hall Light Show will once again light up the hearts of kids and adults alike with a playful Christmas tale projected onto Brisbane City Hall every 15 minutes via an exciting light and animation show from 7:30pm.
- 4-24 Dec: The reimagined Christmas on Queen will include lots of live pop-up performances and entertainment throughout Queen Street Mall, with acrobats, choirs, and all your favourite Christmas characters, which will be sure to bring joy and happiness to all ages.
- 5 Dec: The much-loved Lord Mayor’s Christmas Carols will be held at the iconic Riverstage, where people can sing along to their favourite carols with some of Brisbane’s finest performers. This year’s carols will be ticketed to ensure the safety of those attending.
- 18-23 Dec: Jingle on down to South Bank Parklands where you will be enthralled by a Christmas production featuring song, dance and circus acts at the South Bank Piazza for the Christmas Tree Spectacular – Supported by ABC Radio Brisbane.
- 18-23 Dec: Pull up a rug on South Bank Parklands’ River Quay Green & delight in a free cinematic experience at the outdoor Christmas Cinema – presented by eatSouthBank.
- 18-23 Dec: Visit Santa at Santa’s Stopover at South Bank Parkland’s Flowstate, the kids will love Santa’s elves reciting their favourite Christmas tales and helping with arts and crafts at Kids Craft & Storytelling.
- 18-23 Dec: Festive Beats – Presented by eatSouthBank will deliver the Christmas soundtrack at South Bank with original tunes and Christmas covers, with no one artist performing twice across the program.
- 18-24 Dec: Santa’s Stable will see Santa’s reindeer surprise and delight shoppers in the Queen Street Mall for a limited time each night.
This program is in addition to other fun events across the city including:
- The Lord Mayor’s Seniors Christmas Concerts at City Hall (30 Nov – 9 Dec)
- Collective Markets: Christmas Edition in South Bank (18-23 Dec)
- The Enchanted Garden in Roma Street Parkland (4 Dec – 17 Jan)
For more information, visit www.christmasinbrisbane.com.au or share your experience on social media by using #MerryBrismas.