Invest News May 2017
#LMBA2017 nominations open
Nominations are now open for the 2017 Lord Mayor’s Business Awards, with the gala dinner to be held on Friday 27 October at Brisbane City Hall.
There are 11 award categories in total, with eight open to businesses:
- Award for Outstanding Small Business
- Queensland Urban Utilities Award for Product Innovation
- Australia Pacific LNG Award for Business Innovation
- ISPT Award for Digital Adoption Strategy
- ANZ Award for High-growth Business Start-Up
- Energex Award for Sustainability in Business
- HSBC Award for Doing Business in Asia
- Port of Brisbane Award for Investment In Brisbane
And two awards open to individuals:
- Singapore Airlines Young Business Person of the Year Award
- Channel 7 Business Person of the Year Award
One outstanding category winner (chosen from a business award winner):
- Optus Business Platinum Award
You can nominate your business here, with entries closing on Friday 21 July.
Finalists will be announced in early September.
Emirates bolsters its Brisbane offering
Emirates will add a third daily return flight between Dubai and Brisbane from 1 December 2017.
The direct service will increase capacity on the route by 3,724 seats a week, inbound and outbound between Brisbane and Emirates’ hub Dubai.
This will provide Australian passengers a seamless connection to Emirates’ global route network including destinations in Croatia, the United Kingdom and the United States.
For inbound passengers, Emirates’ partnership with Qantas gives travellers the option of connecting to all regional and major cities in Australia.
Join the Lord Mayor at the Asia-Pacific Cities Summit
Lord Mayor Graham Quirk will lead a delegation of Brisbane businesses and young professionals to the 2017 Asia Pacific Cities Summit and Mayors’ Forum in Daejeon (10-13 September).
Expected to attract more than 1500 delegates across the Asia Pacific, 2017APCS will enhance opportunities for delegates to expand their overseas networks and generate business and investment leads.
Keynote speakers include Cherie Blair, Founder of the Cherie Blair Foundation for Women; Jared Cohen, President of Jigsaw; and Thomas Frey, Senior Futurist at the DaVinci Institute.
Registrations are open with earlybird registrations open until 31 May.
CEDA to host Competitive Regions event at City Hall
Mayors from across southeast Queensland will be speaking at the CEDA Competitive Regions event to be held at City Hall on June 28.
CEDA says audiences will hear what the employers, designers, builders, service providers and leaders of local government across the regions see as “the region’s best future, it’s competitiveness and place in the world”.
- Cr Graham Quirk, Lord Mayor, Brisbane City Council
- Cr Paul Antonio, Mayor, Toowoomba Regional Council
- Cr Greg Christensen, Mayor, Scenic Rim Regional Council
- Cr Paul Pisasale, Mayor, City of Ipswich
- Cr Alan Sutherland, Mayor, Moreton Bay Regional Council
- Cr Luke Smith, Mayor, Logan City Council
- Cr Karen Williams, Mayor, Redland City Council
Find out more and register here.
More from the May edition of The Brisbane Report